Introduction - Northeast U.S.What do you think of when you picture the Northeast Region of the United States? Perhaps it is the major cities like New York City, Washington DC, and Boston. You may think of the miles of beautiful beaches like those on Cape Cod (Massachusetts) or on Long Island New York. Perhaps what comes to mind are one of the amazing natural wonders like Niagara Falls in upstate New York. In fact; there is an incredible variety of people and places in this region. On this page we have listed facts about the Northeast Region of the U.S. which includes the states listed below. You will find links on this page to interesting information about each state in the Northeast geographical region which both kids and adults should find interesting and useful.
Click here for a great selection of Amazon.com books about the Northeast.
Basic Northeast Region US State Facts
- The 11 states that make up the US Northeast Region are Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- Six of the states in this region are collectively called the "New England States". They are Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- The Northeast states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania are often referred to as the Middle Atlantic States.
- Washington D.C., which is not a US state, is also considered part of the Northeast region.
- The climate of the Northeast varies by season. Winters are often extremely cold; especially in the northern most states such as Maine. The regions summers are generally warm and humid.
Northeast Region Points of Interest
- New York City - This city is one of the main tourist destinations in the world with way to many attractions to list here.
- The Freedom Trail - A walking trail in Boston Massachusetts with 16 important historic sites including Paul Reveres House and Boston Common.
- Mark Twain House - Located in Hartford Connecticut this was the home of the famous American author from 1874 to 1891.
- Gettysburg Battlefield - Located in Gettysburg Pennsylvania this was the sight of the biggest battle of the American Civil War.
Interesting Northeast Region US State Facts
- All 11 states in this region were part of original thirteen British colonies before the US won it's independence in the American Revolution. What are now Vermont and Maine were actually part of other colonies before the Revolution.
- The smallest US state (Rhode Island) is located in this region.
- At 6,288 feet (1,917 meters) the peak of Mount Washington in New Hampshire is the highest point in the Northeast.
- There is an amazing amount of National Historic Landmarks in this region of the US. In fact approximately half of these US landmarks are found in this region.
- New York City, which is located in the Northeast, has the highest population of any city in the US; its population exceeds that of most states.
- The Northeast states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island are the only US states where the number of Catholics is more than the number of Protestants and other Christian religions. This is due to the huge number of Catholic immigrants arriving from such predominantly Catholic European countries as Ireland and Italy in the late 1800s.